Saturday, June 15, 2013

You're A Grand Old Flag



When I was in third grade, my teacher had an affinity for patriotic songs. Every morning, after we said the Pledge of Allegiance, Mrs. Campbell would kick off our day with the rousing strains of America the Beautiful, or This Land Is Your Land, or The Battle Hymn of the Republic. We had quite a repertoire to choose from. 

I found myself strangely stirred by these songs. I didn't necessarily embrace the melodies or lyrics; sometimes I barely understood what the song was trying to say. But I drew from this experience a strong surge of emotion. Now, as an adult, I suppose I would call it patriotism, but as a child, I just felt happy when I sang those songs, and very proud to be an American. 

I especially loved songs about our flag. Of course, The Star-Spangled Banner is the granddaddy of U.S. flag-related songs, but I had a different favorite: You're A Grand Old Flag. The words, clearly etched in my memory, go like this:

You're a grand old flag
You're a high-flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave. 

You're the emblem of
The land I love
The home of the free and the brave. 

Every heart beats true
For the red, white, and blue
Where there's never a boast or brag

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
Keep your eye on the grand old flag!

I love that cheerful, bouncy, high-spirited song. 

I love the tender waves of passion it stirred up in my child heart. 

I love my nation's beautiful flag, and all that it symbolizes. 

And I love that, on June 14, we have a special if rarely discussed holiday to celebrate our grand old flag. Happy Flag Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!