Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bread And Bridges

Happy birthday to my blog! It was one year ago today that I wrote my first post, a little observation about how snow creates magical new beginnings, with a nod to the Narnia franchise and a handful of pictures from my snow-covered neighborhood. 

Of course, I learned a lot in the 365 days that followed; the most important points I can sum up in two metaphorical comparisons:


Writing stories in my blog has become daily bread for me. At first, it was a discipline, a chore that I held myself to doing, even when I didn't want to. But somewhere around the five- or six-month mark, the daily process of birthing a post became second nature to me. Unlike many other bloggers, I don't plan my posts out ahead of time. I wake up in the morning and wonder what the day will bring to me that will be worthy of a story. And you know what? Something always happens. It's a fun and exciting process to see what manna from heaven will fall to my feet each day.


After a year of writing stories for my blog, I am more sure than ever that this process is taking me somewhere. I still don't know exactly where I'm going, or how the blog is helping me get there. But there is no doubt in my mind that my words are a bridge that is leading me from my old life as Mom to a still-unknown new world as Diane again. Last year, when I wrote those first few posts, it was as if I was just stepping away from familiar territory and out onto the open span. Right now, I feel as if I have walked well out into the middle of the crossing, and while the other side is still shrouded in fog, I know it's there, waiting for me to come.

And when I get there, I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

2 comments:

  1. This has been an exercise in complete surrender and profound trust as we step ahead into the unknown, and I’m with you, girlfriend. We need our daily bread and to have the courage to put one foot in front of the other.
    Happy birthday, Diane again!! Let’s sing:

    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door

    You never will get where you’re going
    If you never get up on your feet
    Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
    A fast walking man is hard to beat

    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door

    If you want to change your direction
    If your time of life is at hand
    Well don’t be the rule be the exception
    A good way to start is to stand

    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door

    If I want to change the reflection
    I see in the mirror each morn
    You mean that it's just my election
    To vote for a chance to be reborn
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door (Jules Bass)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi, for the wise words, the inspiring poem, and most of all, your heartfelt companionship as we walk the bridge together!

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!