Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Favorite Boys


My favorite boys came over for a visit yesterday. Yes, they are identical twins, ten years old now, and I've known then since they were six months old. I'm fond of all their family but there is something different and special about my bond with these two.

1. They slow me down. When the twins come over to visit, I mostly lay aside my normal routines to focus on them. Yesterday, they wanted to watch Harry Potter, so while I did run some laundry back and forth, I spent a lot of time sitting on the couch with them, watching and discussing the movie. Not my typical afternoon activity. It was relaxing and chill.

2. We have fascinating conversations. Don't get me wrong - I love to be silly and crazy with toddlers, and I will listen to a seven-year-old's recycled knock-knock jokes until they tell me them all. But now that the twins are getting a bit older, we are having some really interesting talks. I'm quite impressed with their level of Potter lore, for example; one of the boys has read all the books, and told most of the best bits to the other. I have a never-ending fascination with that topic too, so we had a great chat on the subject.

3. They help me see the world in different ways. It might not be a shocking truth to point out that ten-year-old boys think differently than I do, but I find it interesting and very refreshing to try their ideas on for size. Example: we explored the moral dimensions of stealing. The boys' conclusion? Stealing is wrong, unless you steal from a pirate, because their stuff is all stolen so it's not really theirs to begin with. They may not change my worldview, but the boys' ideas give me a lot to think about.

4. We have fun together. True confession: I think it's fun to talk about train-related phone apps, the latest DS games, and LEGO creations. I enjoy happy, good-natured people of any age. And I like to be around people who obviously enjoy my company too. Check, check, and check.

When you think about it, these four factors are simply the key ingredients of any friendship. The fact that I enjoy these experiences with a pair of ten-year-olds may be a tad unusual, but then again, that's what makes them special. After all, they are my favorite boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!