Monday, April 23, 2012

My Tiny Corner of the Planet

On this sunny Sunday, I finally worked up the nerve to face the mad chaos that my backyard had become. Let's be honest - the weeds were taking over and I was not looking forward to bringing a stop to their rein of terror. 

But today was Earth Day. Time to reclaim my little bit of earth. 

So I went out and faced those weeds and yanked 'em all out. Well, maybe 83% of them. But as I worked, I rediscovered some happy little garden places that I want to share with you.

This big green pot is Ranger's water dish. Well, during the summer I add a little fountain  and try to pretend that it belongs to me. But the truth is that this is Ranger's favorite drinking spot, and I could never deny that little angel.  

Yes, we have name tags in our pots. My youngest likes to name our tomato plants and  made these super duper laminated name tags to keep track of who's who. Those are strawberry plants in front of them, and a stone painted as a ladybug, which I made with my students last year.

This is a tiny little garden with a tiny little path running through it, on the side of the house. 

Here's the same path from another angle. It's a perfect place for little girls to play pretend games.

My youngest made this for me; she wrapped a length of flexible copper tubing around this big shiny marble and we hung it from a branch in a tree. It twists and turns in the breezes and looks quite dazzling in the sunlight.

Yes, I am a sucker for red tulips. 

This garden has a ways to go before it hits its summer glory, but the mobile keeps my eyes busy while I'm waiting.

Hot pink azalea bush, getting ready to put on a show.

This is a little fairy house, built by my fourth. It's in an ongoing state of improvement.

Blue forget-me-nots and red coral bells. I like flowers with interesting names.

More red tulips? Yes, please. We made these mosaic step stones a few years ago; the little bits and pieces keep falling out but they still hold their own.

I know my yard isn't anything special. There are countless gardens more grand and glorious than mine. But on this Earth Day, I find myself feeling very grateful for my tiny corner of the planet and the lovely things that grow here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!