Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Still Have Stress Dreams About Writing Papers But This Part Of College Life Was Lovely

After yesterday's post regarding spring blooms on college campuses, I can't stop thinking about the beautiful display that nature unleashes on my old stomping grounds at Michigan State.

I really wish I could find those old pics that I took back in my student days. I distinctly recall three or four shots that my friend took of me climbing a flowering cherry tree. Definitely think they would be good for a laugh. I'll keep looking.

My next thought is to have my niece, who is currently living the life of a Spartan, to take some photos for me. I messaged her today and asked her what might motivate her to be my long-distance flower paparazzi. Wonder what she will say.

In the meantime, I've gathered up a few prime offerings of MSU's spring fling from around the web to share with you now. To keep the experience real, as you look at these beautiful sights, pretend that you have a statistics midterm in two days, or a computer program due next week. 

The sprawling campus is laid out like a giant park. Unlike many campuses that concentrate their spring firepower in a central location, MSU's seasonal treats pop up here, there and everywhere.

broad.alumni via Flickr
Nothing sets off some sweet spring finery like these old Tudor-style red brick dorms.

Fliedermaus via Flickr
I especially appreciate the natural flow and planting style of most of the gardens. These tulips look like they naturally sprang up in the middle of the woods, and the pinks blend effortlessly with the off-whites.

broad.alumni via Flickr
Another bed that seems to have just popped up under these trees. What a happy surprise.

MSU University Relations Photography
Magnolias in bloom under Beaumont Tower. Love.

MSU University Relations Photography
The lazy Red Cedar River runs through campus and the trees along its banks slowly spring to life with less drama but plenty of green. Let not this bucolic scene fool you; poison ivy runs rampant here and I once caught a whopping case of it.

Michigan State University Weekly Galleries
What says 'spring' better than a pair of his-and-her mallard ducks? Nothing.

Michigan State University Weekly Galleries
Sweet little lamp set off by purple blooms outside Yakeley Hall. 

Michigan State University Weekly Galleries
Pink tulips. Delicious. The end.

Michigan State University Weekly Galleries
.

It's been a while since I saw these sights in person and I miss them. Then again, it's been a long time since I've had to do any homework. Don't miss that at all.

* * * * *

Ready for more stories about Michigan, my mitten-shaped home state? 


* * * * *

For more stories about late winter and early spring, try these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!