Saturday, August 3, 2013

San Juan Islands: The Mystery Of Cattle Point

"It is the dim haze of mystery that adds enchantment to the pursuit." -Antione Rivarol

Let me summarize my day's outing to the San Juan Islands up to this point.

We drove from our home to the ferry dock in Anacortes: 75 minutes.
We waited in line for our ferry: 120+ minutes.

So about four and a half hours into our day, my second-born, fourth-born and I found ourselves on San Juan Island, driving up and away from the ferry dock, and finally ready to begin exploring the island.

And you know, we really didn't have a plan. That, in my opinion, is the best way to begin an adventure. My youngest had spent a little time with Mr. Google, and brainstormed a few ideas about what she wanted to see. And of course, we had map apps on our phones. 

Other than that, we were winging it.  I simply drove where my navigators told me to drive, and waited to see what interesting things might happen.

* * * * *

First, they told me, we were going to a place called Cattle Point. And it was then that I was confronted with a mystery.

Why on earth is there a place called Cattle Point on the island? Hmm. While there may be some random cows around, living on the picturesque farms sprinkled here and there across this tiny patch of countryside, I was quite sure there is no significant ranching activity. San Juan Island is too small and too dry to support a sizable herd of cattle. My mind began to turn with questions about this odd name.

Well, despite my skepticism, as soon as we arrived at the Cattle Point vicinity, we were treated to some animal life. But it was not at all what I was expecting...


We saw a fox! 

Up until this very moment, I had never seen a fox in the wild. This was a fact of my life that I had been lamenting just last week. But sure enough, there was a young and scrawny red fox with long black socks on his or her legs, patrolling the golden grasses along the roadside. Adorable. Cross that one off my bucket list.

Okay, so foxes live at Cattle Point. But not cows. Then why is it named after cattle?

As I pondered this mystery, we traveled on.

* * * * *

We reached the southeastern tip of San Juan Island, and found a visitors' center that seemed to be Cattle Point Ground Zero. Hopping out of the car, I eagerly searched the displays for some explanation.

I learned that Native Americans used this place for summer picnics. And folks from Canada used to come by the boatload to watch the American and British armies go at it during the days of the Pig War.

Yeah. There was a war over pigs here on this island, back in 1859. Clearly, this place has livestock issues.

But still no explanation of the name, Cattle Point.

Outside the small structure was a lawn with picnic tables. And outside the perimeter of the lawn, a massive boulder caught my eye.

Oh! Maybe the rocks look like cattle lounging around?


Before I could further explore this theory, I glanced to the left of the bovine-like rock formation. And what I saw made me forget all about the mystery at hand.


Glorious, breath-taking beach! Massive rocky headlands!

And what's this? A winding trail through the golden grasses at the top of the cliff, that wanders off into the distance and presumably leads down to the water's edge?!


Forget about the cattle. For the next hour, I cared about nothing but exploring this new-found playground.



Mysterious name notwithstanding, Cattle Point was a delicious slice of Pacific Northwest heaven, and I enjoyed every moment of my visit there. I love you, Cattle Point!


P.S. After I got back home, I rummaged around online till I discovered that back in the 1800s, in the days before the Pig War, the British built a loading dock at this beach so they could bring in cattle and other livestock to sell at the local trading post. Cattle Point, indeed.

Mystery solved.

* * * * *
Read more about my adventures on San Juan Island:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!