Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunset Chaser, Tucson Edition

I've got a longstanding and questionable reputation as a sunset chaser. One minute, I'm going about my everyday business around town when suddenly I'm hit by the realization that there's a glorious sunset going down. Next thing you know. I'm frantically racing around in my car, trying to get myself to the best possible vantage point before the solar display slips away, shooting pics through my windshield as I careen one-handedly through the streets.

That's the honest truth. I kind of lose my head for a pretty sunset.

It happened again today, here in Tucson. These desert sunsets start out pale and pastel, then build and intensify into deep, rich tones. They are a glory to behold, and I'm glad I pursued today's event with gusto.

After darkness fell, and my adrenalin returned to normal levels, I found myself wondering, as I often do, why I'm so obsessed with this daily phenomenon. After all, isn't it a sure thing that there will be more sunsets, tomorrow and the next day and the day after that, all for me to enjoy?

No. There are precious few sure things in this life, and certainly there are no guarantees that I will watch an infinite number of sunsets. Someday, I will look upon my last one.

So while I plan to see a good many more, I drink in every day's sunset as if it might be my last. And that, in my mind, is a lovely way to live.


* * * * *

Sunset chaser: A traveler who spies a gorgeous display on the evening horizon, and, throwing all other thoughts aside, pursues a prime viewing location from which to photograph the sky. 

I am a sunset chaser and here are just a few of the stories of my adventures:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!