Saturday, February 2, 2013

January 31, 2013

Here's an hourly play-by-play of a typical day in my life.

9 a.m.

I woke up this morning to find these two colorful characters on hand to greet me. Ranger always sleeps on my bed, but discovering Cedric napping on the warm rug at my feet was a special treat.


10 a.m.

First class of the day: Algebra 2. Green markers are my current favorite because they erase the best but I like to use different colors to highlight certain parts of my teaching. As you can see, today we learned how to simplify complex fractions...they're so fun!


11 a.m.

Second class: Algebra 1. Even though I'm teaching to big, smart high school kids, I always provide plenty of markers to my algebra students. Note-taking is more fun when it's bright and colorful.


Noon

I took some time between classes to help one of my algebra students with a homework problem from her college chemistry class. It's always a moment of truth for me as a teacher when a student asks for my help with a problem for a different class...what if I can't figure it out??! But happily, this one was easy. 


1 p.m.

Art class with my younger students is always a treat. Today, we finished working on the valentine collages that we started last week, and I even got a chance to make a few myself. While I worked, I chatted with a pair of rowdy boys and eavesdropped on the girls' sweet conversations. Small classes are so great.


2 p.m.

Rowdy boy: Hey, Mrs. Streicher, can you rub your tummy while you pat your head?
Me: *doing it*
Rowdy boy: Okay, that's pretty good. But I made up a different one that's even harder! Wanna see?
Me: Yes. Can I take a video while you do it?
Rowdy boy: SURE!


3 p.m.

On the way home from school, I made my daily trip to Target for groceries. As usual, the skies above the parking lot were interesting. The overcast clouds make a perfect canvas for creative photo editing so after I loaded my groceries into the car, I snapped a few pics to play with later.


4 p.m.

"Ranger, do you wanna go on a WALK??!"


5 p.m.

My favorite time of day for editing photos. At this point in the afternoon, it's too late for me to dive into a complicated art project, so playing around with photos is a perfect outlet for my creative energies. Also, this work can be easily interrupted, which is a necessity for me as my family is arriving home and wandering in and out of my work zone. Plus it's totally relaxing and fun. Bring on the PicMonkey!


6 p.m.

My third-born invited me to join her for an episode of Alias. She's watching the whole series and I join her now and then for random episodes. Suffice it to say, I am not exactly grasping the complexities of the plot but at least I know that Alias is a show about a spy.


7 p.m.

Dinner time. We don't often have just salads for dinner, but our version of a Cobb salad is a hearty affair that features (from left to right) bacon, croutons, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans, and of course, lettuce. My family loves meals like this one that allow each person to customize her own combination of ingredients. And I love when they enjoy what I serve.


8 p.m.

Clean kitchen! Let's see how long it lasts.


9 p.m.

We're all on the couch to catch Week 2 of the new season of Project Runway. I'm still grieving this season's loss of Michael Kors, and withholding judgement on this new team-driven style of competition. But who can be disgruntled when Heidi, Tim, Nina and Swatch are up to their usual hi-jinks with a new set of emo designers? Not me.


10 p.m.

Still Project Runway-ing. Luna has joined us for judging.


11 p.m.

Just as I was about to leave the TV zone, my eldest invited me to watch one more show with her. Khloe Kardasian Odom joining host Andy Cohen on Watch What Happens Live? And Sirius has dropped by for a snuggle?? Yes. I'm staying. 


Midnight


Water all gone, TV programs over. Time to change glasses and head to the computer. I am a true night owl in that I do my best thinking and most creative work after midnight. So this is my preferred time for returning email, writing a blog post, doing a little chatting, and playing some Words With Friends. In other words, living the life.


1 a.m.

And so another day ends. I'm a night-time showerer and striped jammy wearer. Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day! And dinner looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm over 14 months late in this reply. Hope you can forgive me!

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!