Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Lake Feels Like Home


I love that I live in the wet and wild Pacific Northwest, surrounded by mountains and forests and salt water waves that roll up on the rocky beach of my current hometown. When I was a little girl, growing up in the great hardwood forests of Michigan, I dreamed of seeing such sights and I am still surprised and astounded that I now live among them.

But at the same time, I sometimes miss the sweet lake of my childhood. My house was just one narrow lane away from the shore, and I grew up playing in, on and around the water, every day of the year. There is something so safe and comforting about an inland lake, the way the houses curve around the shore, all facing inwards so everyone can see each other across the water. I love the soothing ways of lake water, with gentle waves that quietly lap at the grassy shore. And I enjoy discovering a lake's secrets - a sunny, shallow spot for swimming here, overhanging bushes for a family of ducks there, places where the seaweed grows thick, and the spot where the fresh water feeds in from a creek. 

Some days, I just plain crave a lake.

Today was one of those days. So I headed over to Lake Ballinger, about ten miles away, and found this idyllic scene. It was just what I needed to feel like myself again.

I even found a family of ducks. They quacked at me, and made me feel right at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!