Monday, November 4, 2019

Vermilion Legacy

"This land, this water, this air, this planet - this is our legacy to our young." -Paul Tsongas


My husband's mother's family ties go back to a sweet little town in Ohio called Vermilion.

Once upon a time, her relatives ran a general store out of this charming storefront. Even then, back in the day, it was painted this same lemon yellow and adorned with a similar striped awning. 


Back home, we own a little watercolor painting of this same store, painted with historical accuracy, in the same sunny colors. My mother-in-law treasured that gem for many years and I'm honored that we can carry it forward for her. 


So it was lovely that on our quick trip to Cleveland, along with my husband's sister , we stopped by the old place and paid her a proper visit. She's living life as a cafe now, and looking quite well cared for. Makes me so happy to know that she has been passed on through a series of careful stewards. I'm glad to see she is loved. 


Vermilion sits on the shore of Lake Erie, less than an hour west of Cleveland. With a string of beaches and deep marinas, the town enjoys an envious reputation as a resort center and the historical nickname, "Village of Lake Captains." Sure enough, just a stroll around the block landed us on the beach.


Even though Erie is the fourth-smallest of the five Great Lakes by surface area, she still offers a commanding view of endless sea and sky. Though they are fresh water lakes, the Great Lakes are shockingly huge. Standing at the shore of any of one the five Greats is a majestic experience and I never tire of marveling at the infinite blue.


So I stood on the grassy bluff above the beach and mused about other ancestors who sailed ore boats from Superior down here to Cleveland, and called Vermilion home. They may not be my blood relatives but I'm happy to know that the DNA of this seafaring adventurers lives on in my daughters' cells. 


Satisfied were we all with exploring our history on the streets of Vermilion, and as afternoon passed into evening, we turned and headed our car back to Columbus. We may not ply the waters of the deep in this generation, but we are adventurers in our own rights, and I am proud to continue the legacy of our family's bold spirit. .

* * * * *

Road Trip 2019: read all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!