Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Gentle Art Of Reframing

"To reframe, then, means to change the conceptual and/or emotional setting or viewpoint in relation to which a situation is experienced and to place it in another frame which fits the 'facts' of the same concrete situation equally well or even better, and thereby changing its entire meaning." 
- Watzlawick, Weakland and Fisch

* * * * * 

Me exploring in Nayli's bedroom: Oh, I love your collection of tiny blank books. I'm obsessed too. But I never know what to do with mine. What do you write in yours?

Nayli: Nothing. I don't write in them. I just collect them.

Me: *mind blown*

* * * * *

In an instant, my wise teenage Malaysian-hostess-in-Cuba changed my life. 

No longer do I feel a scrap of guilt over my stockpile of unused journals and tiny baby notebooks. They are my collection and I am set free to enjoy them just as they are - empty, pure and clean.

I feel entirely liberated. 

And what's more, I can't think of single reason why I shouldn't be adding new treasures to my collection on a regular basis. 

So today, I did just that. 


Thank you, Nayli, for teaching me the gentle art of reframing.

And thank you, Target, for satisfying my never-ending desire to collect.

* * * * *

For a full tour of Nayli's collections read this:

2 comments:

  1. Hello Diane! I really like this blogpost! I feel glad that I have been able to teach you to "reframe", and that this has allowed you to continue collecting, especially with notebooks as well. The notebooks you showed here are so cute. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nayli! You definitely gave me a new way to look at my book-buying obsession and I appreciate that very much. You have inspired me in many ways. :)

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!