Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Growing Things


I wonder what our farming forebears would have thought, had they seen my second-born and me in action at the plant store today. 

Fueled by our usual fever for fanciful indoor plants and fired up over a surprise 30% off sale, between the two of us, we plopped down around $70 for a fistful of quirky, interesting plants. 

Succulents. 
Air plants 
A lone striped aloe. 

Beautiful, no doubt  

But these plants serve absolutely no practical function in our lives. Unlike the many relatives who came before us, who farmed to put food on the table and shies on the family feet, we simply like to live among cute, green, slightly pricey plants. 

And while I have no doubt that this frivolity would at first freak our agriculturally-minded ancestors out, I also like to imagine that once they wrapped their minds around the reality of our post-modern suburban lives, the old-timers would smile and find it kind of sweet that we just like to grow things. 


* * * * *

In my opinion, you can never have too many succulents, and you can never have too many stories about succulents. Here are a few to choose from:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!